Sunday, January 23, 2011

American Idiot


If I'm going to do this honestly, not every post will be about the most thoughtful shows. Sometimes I might have to talk about going to see what essentially amounts to a live action rock video...for the third time.

American Idiot isn't a great show. There's virtually no script, the story that's presented is super-thin and deeply cliched, and it's occasionally a bit embarrassing how openly it tries to be "edgy." Hey, look, that pregnant lady's drinking a beer! And let's be honest, there are few things less authentically "punk" then charging $137 for the "rock opera" based on one of your albums. Also, unlike The Who's Tommy, American Idiot ISN'T really a rock opera. The lyrics don't really tell the story. They capture a mood, but the story has been grafted on. You could replace all of the music and not really change the content of the show.

So...three times? Yeah. Here's the thing. It's a pastiche, but it works. Not only is the show incredibly fun to listen to, but it boasts some of the best set and lighting design, choreography, and direction in town. It's energetic; it's enthusiastic; and if I was 14, I suspect I would have found it life changing. What surprises me about return visits is that I actually like it more each time. Well, the first time, I was sitting behind someone with the largest head I've ever seen. We're talking encephalitis big. I was pissed off by how much I couldn't see, particularly since the storytelling is all visual. The second time, I was in the front row and, frankly, it was a little overwhelming and difficult to get the big picture. Third time was the charm. I had my best seats and was surprised to notice a lot of really subtle touches--how carefully calibrated the video and projections are, how intricate the set is (it really just looks like a few stories of sloppy at first, but it's surprisingly specific in retrospect.

I went back this time to see Billie Joe Armstrong in the minor role of drug dealer St. Jimmy. Admittedly, he's way too old to be part of this cast, but y'know...he wrote it all. So I'll let it slide. Especially because I was surprised by how powerful his voice really is. And he's just damned charismatic. The crowd was crazy enthusiastic that he was there, and that really can make all the difference sometime. The only other show currently playing that I've seen multiple times is La Cage, and each time I go to that, the crowds are less enthusiastic, so it sort of feels like diminishing returns for me as well, even though the performances and show are just as good. Enthusiasm is infectious--that's one of the things I most love about live performances.

Not everyone was excited to be at American Idiot. The couple next to me HATED it. She took her cell phone out after every single song to check the Playbill to see how much longer it was. He stated talking about not being able to follow what was happening (which I'm pretty sure means he was braindead. There's just not enough to it to be confused!).

In any case, bottom line: I get why people can't stand it. But I also get why people love it. It's simply too fun not to appreciate. I admit: I might be tempted to go back in a few weeks to see Billie Joe's replacement as St. Jimmy: Melissa Etheridge. Another decade older than the already too old Armstrong, I can't even begin to imagine what that's going to be like. I don't care that she's the wrong gender for the part, but she's gonna look like someone's mom! It could be a trainwreck! And you know I'd LOVE to see that. Also, if they keep stunt casting, I'd be willing to pay full price for the third time in my life if they got Courtney Love in the role. I love me some Love.

1 comment:

  1. The show is my current obsession. I've seen it way more times than you have. There's so much detail in the set and projections and the ensemble's interactions that I see something new every time. I especially enjoy the ... whatever the mime equivalent of ad libbing is ... that Michael Esper does on the couch during Favorite Son.

    I saw Billie Joe in the role last fall, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again now that he's settled in (so sad I missed the performance where he ran down to the bar during the show and came back with a whiskey bottle, drank some of it, and then kissed John Gallagher on the mouth). I already have a ticket to see Melissa Etheridge in the role, and it's either going to be amazing (I'm actually optimistic) or a trainwreck (also worth seeing). Before they announced her run, I had been discussing how interesting it would be to have a woman in the role. Pink gets my vote, but she's knocked up right now. Someone else said Joan Jett, who would be great but really couldn't sing the role. Courtney Love would definitely be interesting, but she's not at the top of my list. Really, though, Tony Vincent was perfect, and I miss him in the show.

    I definitely see why people wouldn't love Idiot. I think part of why I can go back so often is that the show is short, I already loved the songs and love them even more with the orchestrations and extra voices added, and the fact that the book isn't there means I don't get bored watching those parts over an over (the way I did with Spring Awakening).

    (Sorry, I'm totally blog-stalking you.)

    ReplyDelete