Thursday, March 24, 2011

How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying


h, Harry Potter. I won’t lie. I had high hopes for Daniel Radcliffe starring in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying. It’s a fizzy, effervescent show filled old-school charm and comedy (and sexism). Just how I like ‘em. Radcliffe is twee and adorable, and while I’ve only seen two of the Harry Potter movies and disliked each, I was fond of his performance on stage in Equus and thought he was hysterical in his episode of Extras.

Watching this production only made me remember how much I loved Matthew Broderick in the show in the 90s. The point of comparison did Radcliffe and Company no favors.

This is just a listless production. Everyone seems off the mark in a way that leads me to believe the real fault has to lie with the director. And at least to my ear, it sounded as though Radcliffe was losing his voice. The best performance tellingly came from the understudy who was on for Rosemary. It was a thoroughly charmless evening at the theater. The jokes mostly failed to land, the music sounded tinny, the sets were at best unattractive, and yet it still got a raucous ovation at the end. Either my take was wrong or people were just super excited to see Harry Potter.

It's worth noting that my friend who joined me enjoyed it considerably more, I think because she didn't know the show. Even so, her take was, "It was okay. Daniel Radcliffe is adorable." Most out to sea are Tammy Blanchard and Christopher Hanke who are giving downright strange performances. I've liked both in other things and was very surprised by what they were putting forth since I think each has more than enough talent to have nailed these roles.

I left the show, went home, and started watching YouTube clips of the Matthew Broderick production which also starred Megan Mulally and my favoritest singer in the whole wide world, Lillias White. Not only was it lovely to hear the songs sound energetic and fun. It was comforting to hear laugh lines land actual laughs.

Boo. Wah. Snooze. I was sad when I saw the understudy slip and thought I’d have to go back to catch the female lead. Now I know it doesn’t matter—she can’t be good enough to get me back there.

BUT! Let's talk about something happier. I went back to The Book of Mormon tonight--I know, I'm insane. It's too many shows. I should save some money. Blah, blah, blah. But it was opening night! I couldn't help myself. And you know what? I loved it even more the second time. And not just because I like celebrity spotting (Alan Cumming, Marcia Gay Harden, Tyne Daly, John Benjamin Hinkley, Jeff Bridges, Tovah Feldshuh, and my future husband Paul Rudd were all there). It's really just an amazing show. And the Times review is out, and it's a motherfucking RAVE. Go see the review then go see the show. I can't wait until the cast recording is out!

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen The Dream of the Burning Boy at Roundabout Underground yet? I loved it (as did Isherwood).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, shoot. I'd read a decent review in USA Today and was hopeful. Then again, when comparing anyone to Matthew Broderick--or Megan Mullaly--it's hardly fair.

    I'm seriously jealous that you saw Alan Cumming and Paul Rudd. AND that you're seeing Book of Mormon again. What's money for if not for making memories (besides, ya know, food)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food is overrated. Theater is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have to admit that I kind of really didn't like The Dream of the Burning Boy. Wait...did I never write about that? Shoot--have I missed one already?!

    And I agree: it's worth spending money on theater. I'd always rather spend cash on an experience rather than an item.

    ReplyDelete